A Writer Is Someone Who Has Written Today

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Jahrzeit

I see my daughter at a distance:
dark-curled waif with wise eyes.

Now I see her through a glass darkly,
Someday I will see her face to face.

She watches and instructs me, when I listen.
Perhaps it would have been the other way around.

Ruah, tell me
you forgive me.


May the great Name of God be exalted and sanctified,
throughout the world,
which He has created according to His will.

May His Kingship be established
in your lifetime and in your days,

and in the lifetime of the entire household of Israel,
swiftly and in the near future;
and say, Amen.

May His great Name be blessed, forever and ever.
Blessed, praised, glorified, exalted, extolled, honored elevated and lauded
be the Name of the Holy One,

Blessed is He -
above and beyond any
blessings and hymns,

praises and consolations
which are uttered in the world;
and say Amen.

May there be abundant peace from Heaven, and life,
upon us and upon all Israel;

and say, Amen.

He who makes peace in His high holy places,
may He bring peace upon us,
and upon all Israel;

and say Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

ruah is a beautiful name


UC xxx

1:40 PM

 
Blogger katiedid said...

I've never heard that name before, what a lovely one. I wish I'd checked in here earlier. For a mournful-seeming poem it is wonderfully hopeful in a way. Such a vulnerable poem to share.

And regarding the poem below this one that I am also late for: I love the lines "I have good antennae; I use them." Succinct, efficient, and yet perfectly evocative. I am enamored of your phrasing here.

3:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home